33 Expert Tanning Tips
Try these 33 spray tanning tips to take your spray tan to the next level!
1. Avoid using deodorant, perfume and moisturiser prior to your spray tan appointment as it will act as a barrier to the spray tan's absorption.
2. Where possible, always shave or wax at least 24 hours prior to your spray tan appointment, as hair removal after a spray tan will remove your tan.
3. Try not to get wet after your spray tan. If it's raining the day of your appointment, make sure you bring a large enough umbrella, or long pants/shirt to cover you.
4. Try to make your spray tan appointment for a time that allows you to shower at least 3 hours prior to your appointment.
5. When possible, try to wear dark, loose clothing to and from your spray tan appointment to avoid staining lighter-coloured clothes.
6. Try to avoid activities that will cause excessive perspiring for 12-24 hours after your spray tan, even if you are able to wash your tan off after a couple of hours.
7. Try to avoid activities that naturally exfoliate the skin - such as swimming in chlorinated or salt water. If you do go swimming, try to rinse in fresh water and moisturise immediately afterwards.
8. If you are going on an extended holiday and don't have your favourite tan lady on hand, use our Colour Me Bronze tan extender to prolong your tan.
9. We will advise you when you can shower depending on the level of colour depth you require, but when you do shower, avoid using soap and shower only with warm (not hot) water to wash off the excess tan colour. When showering, it's just a quick rinse - less than two minutes.
10. Keep your skin as moisturised as possible after your spray tan to increase the longevity of your tan and to help you to avoid the tan wearing off in patches due to dry skin. Non-oily moisturisers work best. Try 'Thank You' body lotion.
11. Daily use of a tan extender will extend the longevity of your tan. We love and recommend Colour Me Bronze tan extender.
12. Exfoliate the day prior to your spray tan, paying particular attention to dry areas such as knees, elbows and ankles. You can use milk and exfoliating mitts to help remove old tan that may still be on your skin. The lactic acid in milk helps to break down the tan and makes it easier to remove.
13. Try to avoid activities that will cause excessive perspiring for 12-24 hours after your spray tan, even if you are able to wash your tan off after a couple of hours.
14. Remove all jewellery prior to a spray tan and leave them off for at least 8 hours after.
15. When possible, try to wear flip flops home from your spray tan appointment to avoid boots /socks/stockings which may rub off the tan solution.
16. Wear underwear that you don't mind getting stained or ask us for a disposable g-string.
17. Don't tint eyebrows the same day you tan - it can interfere with the spray.
18. Avoid spraying perfume or applying moisturiser to your face or body until after you have washed the spray tan off.
19. Avoid excessive hand washing prior to washing spray tan bronzer off. Baby wipes or Wet Ones are a good solution to keep your hands clean.
20. When showering off your spray tan, you may notice the water colouring, but don't freak out. It's probably just the bronzer washing off, not your actual tan.
21. After showering, try to gently pat your skin dry and avoid vigorous rubbing when towel drying. Try to moisturise your body within 3 minutes of showering to retain moisture.
22. After showering off the spray tan, it may seem that the colour has disappeared, but the colour will continue to develop and process over a period of 12-24 hours.
23. A spray tan does not contain SPF! You still need to use a product with SPF on a daily basis to avoid sunburn and skin damage.
24. After your spray tan, try to use clear (not creamy) shower gels rather than harsh soap bars. Avoid using exfoliating scrubs for at least 7-10 days.
25. If you are having a spray tan for a special occasion, it is best to be sprayed one to two days before the event to ensure you're happy with your colour and it has time to fully develop.
26. If you're coming to an appointment after work, bring along some baby wipes or wet towelettes to remove deodorant or moisturisers before your spray tan.
27. When your tan is ready to be removed, the best form of removal is simple — a nice shower and good exfoliation mitts. Remember to moisturise after you've removed the tan though.
28. If you're planning your spray tan for an event and having a pedicure and/or manicure as well, get your mani/pedi before you have your spray tan.
29. Your face will always be the first area to fade, simply because you wash it more frequently and use of makeup/face masks. Top up the tan on your face by using Colour Me Bronze tan extender.
30. Next time you rinse your tan off, don't forget to include your ears! We always spray over them, so if you don't wash off the bronzer they can over-develop, be much darker than the rest of your body or even turn orange. So stick them out and give them a rinse.
31. If you're going on a holiday to a tropical destination, remember that bug spray can remove or fade your tan if it's applied directly to your skin. Consider spraying your clothing or a "cloud" of spray that you can walk through instead of applying it directly to the skin.
32. Always discuss your tan colour options with your spray tan professional to get the best results. What works well for one person and their skin type, may not work well for you.
33. Plan your exercise routine around your spray tan appointment to either exercise and shower before your appointment or wait until your tan has finished processing before exercising.